These six traits are signs that you are in tune with your feelings, as well as with other's emotions
Emotional intelligence (EQ) is the ability to identify and manage your own feelings and those of others. It affects how we manage our behavior, navigate social complexities, and make personal decisions to achieve positive results.
There are certain ways to estimate your overall emotional intelligence that don't involve taking a test. What follows are sure signs that you have a high EQ:
- You have thick skin: When you have a deep knowledge of who you are, it’s difficult for someone to say something that would prick your ego or get under your skin. Self-confidence and being open-minded helps create a hard shell and the ability to take a joke, or even make fun of yourself, means you are able to draw the line between humor and humiliation.
- You are curious about people: Empathy, which is one of the most significant elements of EQ, comes from curiosity. If you are curious about people, you will also care about what they feel and their struggle.
- You think about your reactions: Emotions can contain important information that can be useful to personal and social functioning, but sometimes they can also overwhelm us and make us act in ways we should not. People who lack emotional intelligence are more likely to react without giving themselves the time to weigh the pros and cons of a situation.
- You identify your strengths and weaknesses: Emotionally intelligent people know what they’re good at and what they are not. They also know what works for them and in which environments they thrive best.
- You’re at peace with the past: Emotionally intelligent people don’t have time for regrets. They drop their baggage and move forward into the present because that’s where progress happens.
- You know how to say no: When it’s time to say no, emotionally intelligent people avoid phrases such as “I don’t think I can” or “I’m not certain.” Saying no to a new commitment honors your existing obligations and gives you the opportunity to successfully fulfill them.
Emotional intelligence is essential. Your intellect can only get you so far, especially in this day and age when everyone has almost equal access to information.
If your emotional abilities aren't in tune, if you don't have self-awareness, if you are not able to manage your distressing emotions, if you can't empathize and have healthy relationships, then no matter how smart you are, you might not get very far.
Latin American Post | Luisa Fernanda Báez Toro
Copy edited by Susana Cicchetto