Online Therapy 101: Pros and Cons of Top 6 Providers for Mental Health Care
It's normal to feel a bit overwhelmed when searching for a therapist due to the sheer number of options out there. It's not uncommon to have to try a few before finding the perfect fit.
Escucha este artículo
To ease the burden, we've curated a list of the top six e-therapy providers for 2023, ensuring that you have access to the most dependable and reputable sources. Our selection includes everything from cost-effective platforms to specialized alcohol therapy, catering to the diverse needs of individuals.
Let's navigate through the list to find the ideal provider that best aligns with your unique circumstances.
1. Calmerry – Best overall
- They place a high emphasis on client privacy
- Recognized by reputable media outlets like Forbes and Vogue
- Cost-effective therapy packages
- Licensed therapists from every state
- Free therapist switching
- Free self-care tools
- Usually, they don't accept insurance
Calmerry is a fast-growing online therapy platform that puts its clients' privacy first. With its fully HIPAA-compliant security protections and encrypted data on the servers, there's nothing to worry about for clients entrusting the platform with confidential information.
On top of that, Calmerry has been recognized in numerous reputable media outlets like VeryWellMind and Vogue for its top-notch mental health care.
Furthermore, you can get access to their experienced and licensed clinical psychologists and various self-care tools for only $50 per week, making it one of the most cost-effective therapy platforms out there.
What's more, with over 200 positive reviews on Trustpilot and Sitejabber, you can feel confident that anxiety therapy with Calmerry is truly one of the best options out there.
2. 7 Cups – Good for speed and convenience
- Quick and convenient access to counseling
- Wide range of therapists with different backgrounds
- Reasonably priced services
- Doesn't offer a free trial to customers
7 Cups is quickly becoming one of the best therapy platforms available. For starters, their mental health services are on-demand and allow for quick and convenient access to counseling. With hundreds of therapists who come from a variety of backgrounds, there is certain to be someone that meets your needs.
Furthermore, 7 Cups' cost of $150 per month for licensed therapists tends to be lower than traditional therapy charges. Numerous publications support the efficacy of 7 Cups in treating a broad spectrum of mental health conditions.
Finally, if you just need someone to talk to, 7 Cups has trained and compassionate listeners who will do all they can to help you get through whatever it is that's on your mind.
3. Teen Counseling – Ideal for teenagers
- Dedicated to helping teens
- Wide range of licensed therapists to choose from
- Cancel membership anytime without penalty
- The platform is exclusively for teens aged between 13 and 19
Teen Counseling is a revolutionary platform that is dedicated to helping teens with their mental health. With over 10,000 licensed therapists, Teen Counseling offers teens aged between 13 and 19 personalized therapy at an affordable price of $70 per week.
Teen Counseling also provides members with the convenience of being able to discuss any mental issues they are facing in the comfort of their homes. Also, it allows members to cancel anytime without penalty or feeling obligated, thus reducing the stress that comes with seeking out help.
Read also: Outdoor Time Reduces the Negative Effects of Mobile Devices on Children
4. Monument – Specialized for alcohol therapy
- Specialized therapy platform for alcohol treatment
- Guarantees privacy during sessions
- May not be suitable for people struggling with other types of mental health issues
Monument is the gold standard in alcohol treatment, offering a therapy platform to help you on your sobriety journey. It stands out because of its own unique approach that allows users to get meaningful results without an expensive price tag.
With Monument, you don't need special insurance to be able to afford their services, and their customizable plans conveniently let you work around your own schedule. Alcohol use disorder can be incredibly complicated and driven by psychological, mental health, and societal factors.
5. Open Path – Great for those on a budget
- Open Path is an affordable option
- They offer flexibility in therapy session length
- Open Path is a non-profit organization
- They may have a limited number of providers in certain areas
Open Path Psychotherapy Collective is the top choice for those seeking mental health care on a budget. It's a non-profit organization that partners with licensed mental health professionals in both the United States and Canada to provide low-cost services.
With Open Path, middle and lower-income level clients can access affordable mental health care for as little as $40 per individual 50-minute session or $60 for couples. Plus, if sessions are longer than 50 minutes, you can just prorate the fee to meet your needs and budget.
Thus far, Open Path has successfully matched over 90,000 people to equitable psychotherapeutic care and continues to provide therapeutic options to those who would not have had access otherwise.
6. Ayana – Designed for marginalized communities
- Specializes in providing mental healthcare for marginalized communities
- The platform is user-friendly and easy to navigate
- Offers a variety of communication options, including anonymous therapy participation
- The cost of therapy sessions may be prohibitive for some
Ayana Therapy is a top online therapy platform that provides mental healthcare for marginalized communities. Its app has made it easy for individuals to quickly find licensed therapists that take into consideration their unique experiences and identities across gender, sexuality, race, class, ethnicity, and more.
Here, clients have the option to communicate with their chosen therapist anonymously via text messaging, call, or video – making it ideal for individuals who don't feel comfortable attending face-to-face therapy sessions.
All these services are available at the rate of $140 for a 45-minute therapy session or four sessions for $290.
Finding the right online therapy provider for your needs isn't always easy, but with a bit of research it is possible. Hopefully, this list of the six best online therapy providers has given you some information to consider before you make a decision.