Listen this article
The running trend can bring injuries and problems a little more serious for the runner
For several years running has been a trend: the benefits that the habit of running on a daily basis can bring to health are indisputable. However, the other face of the coin is a little darker and is associated with injuries and problems a little more serious than this practice can bring.
Leer en español: ¿Conoces los riesgos del running? Te contamos cuáles son
1. Sudden death: this, although it is very rare, is not impossible. It has to do, according to the newspaper Fago de Vigo, with the lack of control at the time of running that leads to surpassing the person the capacity of the effort of his own body without consulting an expert. Therefore, it is important to understand the difference between "fitness" and "specific preparation" at the time of running.
You may also be interested: XVIII Latin American Nutrition Congress: What was the balance?
2. Dehydration: According to Infosalus, it is important to hydrate before, during and after the practice with water and other sports drinks rich in sodium and mineral salts to avoid dizziness, shortness of breath and headaches that come with running and can end in fading due to faults in the thermoregulatory system.
3. Problems of the musculoskeletal system: although running to the appropriate extent can contribute to the reinforcement of the locomotor system, practicing it incorrectly can lead to pathologies such as cramps, contractures, tendonitis, knee problems, sprains, back problems, others.
In fact, according to the newspaper Vitonica, it is estimated that 79% of runners will suffer injuries at some point in their lives, a statistic that has remained more or less stable for decades.
4. Gastrointestinal problems associated with long-distance races are also often forgotten. "The lack of blood flow during these efforts, the genetic load, and changes in intestinal digestion and transit are the main causes. The nutritional intake before and during the competition is also related to these problems," said Belén Rodríguez, dietitian-nutritionist, and sports expert, in an interview with Infosalus.
You may also be interested: Accelerate your muscle recovery with these 7 steps
This is why careers should also be prepared at a nutritional level with the help of an expert because not all recommendations are valid for all people.
5. Fatigue: either during or after physical exercise, fatigue, and extreme fatigue also have to do with excessive exertion during practice that either prevents runners from finishing the race or makes it difficult for them to follow their life with normal.
The four hours following the practice of sports are the critical period and, if the person was not prepared to face the race, there will be gradual problems that may be mild or serious.
LatinAmerican Post | Luisa Fernanda Báez
Translated from "¿Conoces los riesgos del running? Te contamos cuáles son"