Here are 10 morning habits that will transform your entire day, leaving you with lasting energy
Our physical energy works like a muscle: it can grow stronger or it can weaken with time and inappropriate habits. The secret to keeping our energy levels balanced through the day lies in the small decisions we make and micro-actions we perform from the minute we wake up in the morning. Whether you are a night owl or a morning person, your morning routine determines the levels of energy you will have for the rest of your day. Here are 10-morning habits that will transform your entire day, leaving you with energy that lasts.
- The 5-second rule: This one will help you to beat the habit of hitting the snooze bottom. Best Selling author Mel Robins claims that there is a five-second window in which you can move from idea to action. If you do not take action in 5 seconds, your brain pulls the emergency brake, it goes on auto-pilot, and it kills the idea. Next time you hear your alarm, start counting backward 5-4-3-2-1 and stand up, launch your self out of bed like a rocket ship. Through this action, you will come face to face with the physical force required to trigger positive new behavior. Scientist calls it "activation energy", the rule is a proven form of metacognition.
- Avoid electronics: Jumping into electronics is a hectic way to start your day. Checking your phone's notifications hijacks your morning routine, it makes you think about the things you need to do or those you are missing out increasing your stress levels rather than being fully aware and enjoying the moment.
- Listen to a podcast or a radio show: In the midst of a stressful week, listening to a podcast on your morning commute can give you inspiration or motivation to start your day. There are apps for you to wake up to radio stations from all over the world, your mind will be focused and challenged making your day productive.
- Lemon-water: Lemons are full of potassium, vitamin C, and antioxidants, which makes them a source of natural energy that increases mental and physical effectivity while improving nutrient absorption in the stomach.
- Meditate: As an alternative to scrolling down social media, losing focus and increasing stress, take 5 to 10 minutes to be still. Visualize your day, be fully aware of yourself and enjoy the moment. This will increase your concentration and relief stress.
- Eat a proper breakfast: According to Dr. Travis Bradberry, a healthy breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as it will give you energy, sharpen your concentration and improve your short-term memory.
- Exercise: Physical activity releases the required neurotransmitters in your brain to give yourself a boost on any given morning. You will have the self-control to get things done while maintaining your energy levels all day long.
- Walk/Stay active: Take the stairs instead of the elevator, and walk or bike to school or work. These minor decisions involving the least of physical activity will release the necessary force required for "activation energy", leading you to a whole positive transformation of your day.
- Setting daily goals: Having attainable goals is the key. Setting concrete goals and the way to achieve them will put everything into motion while boosting your confidence and distributing your energy evenly.
- Previous preparation: Starting the morning routine the night before may be efficient for those who wake up with the brainpower of a zombie and struggle to make decisions early in the morning. Start by picking out your clothes the night before, it will give you fewer things to do in the morning and you will be ready to start your day.
Latin American Post | Steven Lopez
Copy edited by Laura Rocha Rueda